JANUARY BOOKS.

Thursday, 9 February 2017

Hi hello! So here's another monthly books post! Like I mentioned before, I like reading books, and writing about them. With that also comes the constant hunt for some new good books, and that's the reason why I'll write these monthly book posts, for someone who might be in the same situation as me and is just looking for some nice books to read!

1// Northern Lights - Philip Pullman. (His Dark Materials)
"Here lives an orphaned ward named Lyra Belacqua, whose carefree life among the scholars at Oxford's Jordan College is shattered by the arrival of two powerful visitors. First, her fearsome uncle, Lord Asriel, appears with evidence of mystery and danger in the far North, including photographs of a mysterious celestial phenomenon called Dust and the dim outline of a city suspended in the Aurora Borealis that he suspects is a part of an alternate universe. He leaves Lyra in the care of Mrs. Coulter, an enigmatic scholar and explorer who offers to five Lyra the attention her uncle has long refused her. In this multilayered narrative, however, nothing is as it seems. Lyra sets out for the top of the world in search of her kidnapped playmate, Roger, bearing a rare truth-telling instrument, the alethiometer. All around her children are disappearing - victims of so-called "Gobblers" - and being used as subjects in terrible experiments that separate humans from their daemons, creatures that reflect each persons' inner being. And somehow, both Lord Asriel and Mrs. Coulter are involved"
The main reason that I started to read this book was because some lovely people in England recommended it to me since they knew that I loved the Harry Potter story so much. However, keeping in mind that they recommended it to me, saying it'd be similar to HP, I expected quite something else. Luckily, that doesn't necessarily has to be a bad thing! It's quite a bit different than HP, but I've enjoyed reading it nonetheless! It did take me a while to get in to since it's the first book of a trilogy (his dark materials).

The book contains some of the classic elements of a fantasy story: magic, mythical creatures and a supernatural phenomena. And what I really like, is that the world that Pullman has created, is intertwined with our own. There are references to cities and countries which we know in our world as well.

2// Holding Up The Universe - Jennifer Niven.
" Everyone thinks they know Libby Strout, but no one's ever looked past her weight to see who she really is. Since her mum's death, Libby's been hiding Bot now she's ready for high school. I want to be the girl who can do anything
Everyone thinks they know Jack Masselin too - sexy, aloof and too cool for school. But Jack's swaggering confidence is hiding a secret he must keep at all costs. Be Charming. Be hilarious. Don't get too close to anyone
Then Jack meets Libby. And their worlds change. Because sometimes when you meet someone, the whole universe just comes into focus. "
When I read "Holding Up The Universe" I did quite like it. It just seemed like another YA, easy, light read to me. However after reading some reviews I definitely changed my mind. It's full of stereo typed and cliches. It's basically just yet another book about an unpopular girl who sees herself as unattractive, and a popular good looking guy, who fall in love without even having some kind of chemistry in the first place.
So I suppose it's a good book to read if you don't want to have to think about it too much. But if you're a bit tired of reading YA books that kind of always have the same storyline, I'd skip this one.

3// Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher.
" Clay Jensen returns home to find a strange package with his name on it. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and first love - who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
Hannah's voice explains there are thirteen reasons why she killed herself. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why.
All through the night, Clay keeps listening - and what he discovers, changes his life..." 
I feel like you'll either really like this book and understand the main character, Hannah Baker. Or you'll absolutely dislike it, there's no in between. With a subject like this I feel like you'll only understand it when you've experienced something similar, or when you've seen it from up close. Since it's such a hard feeling to grasp at when you've got no idea what it's like in reality.

I personally really liked it, and I feel like Asher described Hannah's feeling pretty well. Often people like to look for a clear-cut reason as to why someone might have killed herself, but in reality it's rarely just one big reason. It often just the little things that all build up, day after day, until the little reasons all blend together into one big feeling of hopelessness.

4// I'll Give You The Sun - Jandy Nelson


" Jude and her twin Noah are close until a tragedy drives them apart. Now they are barely speaking - and both falling for boys they can't have. Love's complicated"

All in all, I really liked reading this book, now I look back on reading it. But, it took my around 200 pages to even properly get into it. Not because it was hard or confusing at first, but I personally just thought it started off a bit boring and it didn't make me want to continue reading.
I do think that the storyline is very original, and I love the fact that it alternates between the lives of the twins, this way you can see certain situations from both eyes. Especially because the twins are completely different persons in the way their personality is.
However, the only thing that was a tad bit annoying, - besides the slow start - is that the chapters are SO long. Literally, I'm the kind of person who reads from chapter to chapter, since I don't like to stop halfway through, but these chapters were so long that it was just necessary to stop even though I was only 10 pages in the chapter.

So that's it for my January books! I'm currently reading the other two books from His Dark Materials, so you can definitely expect those in my Feb Books! 
demi x.







3 comments:

  1. Fijne fototjes heb je erbij gemaakt! Ik heb Ik geef je de zon in het Nederlands gelezen, zo goed!! Ga 'm zeker herlezen. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leuke foto's en I'll give you the sun heb ik vorige zomer gelezen, echt mooi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give you the sun staat op mijn wishlist, die lijkt me zo leuk!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for reading and taking the time to comment on my post. xxx