16 THINGS I HAVE LEARNED IN 2016.

Friday, 13 January 2017

Hey! So I might be a bit late to the party with all these "new year, new me. bla bla bla" posts, but better late than never right?! Since basically the whole of January is about reflection I suppose. Also, this post is not about the things I'd like to achieve this year or about resolutions, but instead it's about the things I've learned last year!

Like I said, since January is all about reflecting on yourself and what you've done, so I've spend the last couple of days thinking about what 2016 has thought me. It may not have been a good year for everyone, or it may have been incredible for some people. However, we all learn things through trial and error, and these are the 16 things that I learned in 2016.


  1. You can get great satisfaction out of small things. For example; seeing your plants grow. Such tiny little achievements can make a bad day just a bit better.
  2. Be responsible, but don't forget to have fun. I used to be the person who was always at work, or thinking about the work I've got to do the next day, and with all of that you forget to have fun and say yes to things. However, 2016 thought me that it's ok to go out and be incredibly exhausted the next morning because you've got to wake up early for work sometimes.
  3. You can't grow and learn if you're comfortable. Being in your comfort zone means that you'll get used to everything, thus - don't take new opportunities to learn. Get out of it, say yes to new opportunities. It might be hard and scary at first but it'll be worth it in the end.
  4. Bodies are just bodies. It's ok to be skinny, curvy, tall, short, etc. It's ok to walk around in a whole lot of clothes, it's also ok to walk around with barely any clothes on at all. Desexualize the human body. It's all natural, and there's nothing strange or new about it.
  5. Stop being so desperate to be in love and just live. I feel like so many people or looking for the one, or their soulmate - that they forget to just live and have fun. You've gotta live for yourself and not just because you're looking for someone to make you 'feel complete'.
  6. It's totally okay to like being and doing things on your own from time to time. I like going out to a cafe and read a book on my own, I don't mind going to the movies alone. I prefer being alone from time to time and that's ok. 
  7. You are not better than anyone else, and no one is better than you. We're all the same. Just because someone lives in a bigger house does not mean they are better, and just because I might have an education does not make me better than someone else.
  8. You have to feel good for yourself. Wear makeup for yourself, work out for yourself etc. At the end of the day, you are the one who is supposed to be truly happy.
  9. Other people's problems are not mine.  It's ok to say to people: "I do not want to be a part of this", whatever they do with their lives is their decision, you don't have to keep up with it.
  10. It's ok to feel sad sometimes, just don't stay in the negative space. "A negative mind will never give you a positive life"
  11. Keep in contact with people you love. Even though you might be miles away, keeping contact is easy!!! Don't keep pulling it of. "to want a friend, you need to be a friend"
  12. It's ok to take loads of pictures, but don't forget to live in the moment. Please, just never do something purely so you can get a good picture for instagram.
  13. Don't give people unlimited chances. It's ok if you want to help people, it's ok if you want to give them a second chance. Just don't keep giving unlimited chances because some people will never learn.
  14. Be nice to everyone. Does this even need an explanation? Kindness goes a long way.
  15. You'll never stop learning. There are so many things that you can always learn, or improve your knowledge about. Being smart is always a good trait
  16. Look people in the eye while talking. Let them know that you're listening and that they don't go unnoticed.

So, that's it! And you know what, it's was actually incredibly satisfying to look back on last year and see what I'd learned. And who knows, this year might have me loads new lessons to bring as well!

demi x.

4 comments:

  1. Super leuke post! Wat een mooie manier om zo terug te kijken op 2016 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tof om te lezen! En heel mooi om zo'n lijstje te hebben met dingen die je hebt geleerd. Echt. Heel cool! En hopelijk brengt 2017 je net zoveel mooie en wijze lessen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mooie post Demi! Helemaal waar ook :)

    ReplyDelete

thank you for reading and taking the time to comment on my post. xxx