WHY/HOW I'VE DONATED MY HAIR.

Saturday, 12 November 2016

Hey! So as you may or may not have realized - I recently cut of the majority of my hair so I could donate it to a good cause (The Little Princess Trust). However, I said that I'd make a separate post about it all explaining why I did it and how you can actually donate your hair, so here it is!

As you can see on the pictures above, my hair used to be pretty long (especially when it was completely straight). But I suppose that it's gonna be easier if I start by telling the story from the beginning, so here we go.

I used to have long hair for most of my life, that was however, until I decided in a whim in early 2014 that I wanted to cut it all off, have a new look, try and go for something different. But because that was such a spontaneous idea, donating all the hair that would actually get cut off didn't even cross my 16y/o mind.
It was only a few months later where I thought; "dammit, I should've done something with that for a good cause!". So I started to do my research and inform myself really well on how donating hair actually works and which are some good causes to donate it to. 
Ultimately I settled on The Little Princess Trust. The Little Princess Trust is a children's cancer charity that provides real hair wigs for kids that suffer from hair loss during their treatment, and for kids that got other diseases that result in hair loss (Like alopocia). 
And having experiences with people I love having cancer this charity spoke to me. Because I know that there are women, men, little girls and boys out there who feel less human because they lost their hair due treatment. And if I could help them with that, by doing such a little thing,  then why for gods' sake wouldn't I ?!

Of course it was still gonna take quite some time before I could actually get the chance to donate my hair, since I needed to let it grow out again. But at least I made a promise to myself, that I was gonna do this.
So here I was, almost 2,5 years later. Going to the hairdresser to cut it all off once again, but actually donate it this time. I came prepared, had my ziplock bag, extra hair ties and an envelope with me so I could immediately send it to the charity! I explained the hairdresser what I was planning to do, so that I wanted to cut my hair off in either a ponytail or braid, since it all needs to be tied together when you put it in the envelope to send it! So that's basically what we did.
And donating it to charity is literally so easy, to only thing you need to do is tie your hair in either a ponytail or braid, put it in a ziplock bag within an envelope and send it, that's it!

You do have to make sure that your hair is the right length though, since they need to be able to make wigs from them and a lot of hair is already lost for the actual knotting of the wig. 
Lengths do however change a tiny bit per charity, so do make sure to look that up beforehand! 
(I cut around 20cm, which is 8inches of!)

So that's basically it! And by writing this post I definitely do not mean that all of you need to go to the hairdresser asap to cut your hair off and donate it (even though that would be great!!!). But I just want to make you aware of the fact that it is possible. And I feel like if we are able to make so many people happy by doing something so small, then why at least not think about it?! Step by step we will be able to make the world a better place. Unite and be kind. Always be kind.

I'm just gonna list some different hair donation charities below incase you're interested and want to get some more information about all of it!
demi x.

The Little Princess Trust (makes wigs for kids in UK & Ireland)
Nederlandse Haarstichting.
Haarwensen.
Cancer Research.
Wigs for Kids.
Locks of Love.

1 comment:

  1. Super tof dat je het hebt gedaan! Het staat je wel heel goed hoor. X

    ReplyDelete

thank you for reading and taking the time to comment on my post. xxx