OCTOBER BOOKS.

Thursday, 10 November 2016

Hi! So here's my second monthly books post! Like I mentioned last time, I like reading books, and writing about them. With that also comes the constant hunt for some new good books, and that's the reason why I'll write these monthly book posts, for someone who might be in the same situation as me and is just looking for some nice books to read!


1/ Milk and Honey - Rupi Kaur.
"This is the journey of surviving through poetry, This is the blood, sweat and tears of twenty-one years. This is my heart, in your hands. This is the hurting, the loving, the breaking, the healing"
 I gave you guys a little sneak peek of this book already in my recent 'favorites post'. This is the first ever proper poetry book I've read and I absolutely love it.
The book is divided in four chapters: The Hurting, The Loving, The Breaking and The Healing. And each chapter serves a different purpose, deals with different pain and heals a different heartache. What I really like is that you can really get to know the writer through her work and you can definitely feel that it's all very personal to her. Some of the pages have some illustrations on them as well to kind of give a clearer picture of the poem.
Really, if there's one book I'd have to recommend this month, it'd definitely be Milk and Honey.

2/ Me before you - Jojo Moyes
 "Lou Clark knows a lot of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shops and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.
What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.
Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now, and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.
What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.
I suppose that this is definitely the most famous book in my list this month, since I bet that more than half of you have seen the movie. However I'm the kind of (lame) person who likes to read books first before going out to see the actual movie
When I started reading it I had no idea what the story was actually going to be about since I didn't look into it at all. However, I was pleasantly surprised because it was such a catching story and it's written in a way that it's easily to follow.
If I were to describe this book like I did to my friends, I'd say that the story is a mix between the film Intouchables and the book The Fault In Our Stars. - so if you're into that, you'll for sure enjoy this book!

3/ After You - Jojo Moyes.
"Lou Clark has lots of questions. Like how it is she's ended up working in an airport bar, watching other people jet off to new places. Or why the flat she's owned for a year still doesn't feel like home. Whether her family can ever forgive her for what she did eighteen months ago. And will she ever get over the love of her life. What Lou does know for certain is that something has to change.
Then, one night, it does. But does the stranger on her doorstep hold the answers Lou is searching for - or just questions? Close the door and life continues: simple, ordered, safe. Open it and she risks everything. But Lou made a promise to live. And if she's going to keep it, she has to invite them in..."

So since I read Me Before You, I obviously also had to read the sequel. I personally found that After You definitely didn't start off as well as Me Before You did. It wasn't as gripping and I found that some situations in the start were overdone, which made the story seem a bit 'fake'. However, it definitely turned around about 1/3 through the book and it turned into a great sequel!
It's a surprising sequel and definitely not what you would expect.

4/ Carry On - Rainbow Rowell. 
 " Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen. That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.
Half the time Simon can't even make his want work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here - it's their last year at the Watford School of magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.
Carry on is a love letter to love stories and the power of words - to every 'chosen one' who ever had more on their mind than saving the world...
This young adult book got recommended to me by one of my dear friends. However, let me start of by saying that I absolutely completely disliked the book when I started reading it. To me it just seemed like some bad version of Harry Potter (which says a lot because I love HP)
Which was actually a bit surprising to me because I'd read eleanor & park from Rainbow Rowell last year and I absolutely adored that book. So I kinda expected this book to just be a sweet and cute story as well.
Nonetheless, as the plot unravelled itself I actually started to appreciate this book more and more since it's very modern and Rowell wrote about subjects you don't usually see in your go to young adults book.
So all in all the book was alright, the story was surprising and had some nice aspects, but it's definitely a book for teenagers. So I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book if you're older than 16/17. (Also, I feel like you may not like this book at all if you're really into HP)

5/ Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen.
 " Catherine Morland is a young girl with a very active imagination. Her entry into the fashionable social scene in Bath results in an invitation to stay with new friends at Northanger Abbey. But Catherine's naivety and love of sensational novels lead to embarrassing and entertaining consequences.
No one would have supposed her to be born a heroine.
This being my first ever Jane Austen read, I expected quite a lot since I'd always heard these stories about her books that they're being insanely good and a must-read. Unfortunately this book was kind of a disappointment to me. And I'm not quite sure whether that's just in the way it's written since it's obviously very old and more literature focused, or whether this is just not my genre. Either way, it took me quite a while to even get into and somehow I just couldn't get a grip to the story since there wasn't a real storyline throughout the whole book.

If you're planning on reading this because the blurb seems interesting to you; keep in mind that the blurb makes the story sound very modern like, but the book is written like 200 years ago. (So it's definitely not modern)

So that's it for my October Books! Looking back at it now I've definitely read books that are completely different from eachother, but it's actually nice to switch it up sometime. :-) Let me know if you have any recommendations for other books that I could read!
demi x.

3 comments:

  1. De film van Me Before You heb ik gezien maar de boeken wil ik ook nog eens lezen! Ben ook wel heel benieuwd naar het boekje van Rupi Kaur, lijkt me mooi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me before you heb ik ook gelezen! Maar dit is een goede reminder dat ik het tweede deel ook nog moet lezen.. Super leuke post! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me before you en Northanger Abbey lijken me heel erg leuk!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for reading and taking the time to comment on my post. xxx